Those who know me well know that life hasn't always been the greatest, in fact some times I have just wanted to get off the roller coaster and never get back on again. I have had my fair share of struggles and even though I would like to say that I thank my mother for always telling me that "what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger" I don't think that's entirely true. In fact some days I would have preferred nothing more than to just run away and start a life somewhere else - of course it would be somewhere tropical - with a cabana boy, a tall, dark, muscular....oh sorry.
And here I am - 41 years of age and in a place that is strange and unusual for me. It's like an uncharted desert. It's called....are you sitting down? Getting Healthy.
Four months ago, I decided that I had been a slave to cigarettes for far too long and with the help of some really great people (you know who you are) I have managed to quit smoking. It was during this time that I realized a lot of things about myself.
- The damage from smoking for almost 27 years will not be undone in one night, or one month, or even one year.
- Patience is not something I possess very gracefully.
- I REALLY like instant gratification.
- I don't ask for help. Even when I am on my knees I don't ask.
- Four months ago, I honestly didn't believe that I would actually quit smoking.
- I need to discover who I am as a non-smoker, emotionally, mentally and physically.
- I want to be healthy.
- If I work at it - I really can accomplish anything.